Our client is a multi-brand global manufacturer of confectionery, pet food, and other food products.
The client was looking to execute Route to Market (RTM) transformation and to address the need to allocate a sales representative’s time intelligently across customers and stores. The client has sales representatives visiting the retail stores to check retailer compliance concerning product placements and product availability. The reps also help in selling promotion related activities to the retailers. The objective was to devise a comprehensive RTM transformation in a three-phased approach.
- Historical data was available only for a year and a half
- Target and actual data for the sales team was not available at the same granular level
- Phase 1 – Optimal Coverage Plan – Focused on establishing compliance parameters and creating models to measure the effectiveness of RTM levers to drive additional sales. It was achieved by:
- Segmenting stores and providing recommendations on optimal store coverage;
- Determining optimal visit frequency, duration of each, and recommendations on which in-store activities to start/stop/continue; and
- Recommendations on rep management
- Phase 2 – Test and Learn – (currently ongoing) – Focusing on further strengthening the learning from Phase 1 through high value, high-risk initiatives with several in-market tests and learns
- Phase 3 – Sustain – Will focus on continuing the value delivered by empowering and supporting the markets to drive sustained value
- Presented coverage reports and results through dashboards and updated the reports on a pre-determined frequency
- Continuously updated the AI model with the new data or findings
- Phase 1 which is completed resulted in USD 3.5 to 5.5 MM in incremental margin in the larger markets and USD 0.6 MM in the smaller markets
- Delivered comprehensive compliance and cost & activity overview dashboards to help both the BU/segment teams as well as the sales teams